An app password is a code that gives an app or device permission to access your Office 365 account.
To create another app password
- Sign in to Office 365.
- Choose Settings > Office 365.
- Choose Security & Privacy > Additional security verification. You’ll only see this option if your admin has set up multi-factor authentication for your organisation.. If you don’t see this option, contact your Office 365 admin and tell them to turn on multi-factor authentication.
- Choose Update my phone numbers used for account security. This will display the following page:
- At the top of the page, choose App Passwords.
- Choose create to get an app password.
- If prompted, type a name for your app password, and click Next.
- Choose copy password to clipboard. You won’t need to memorise this password.
Tip: If you create another app password, you’ll be prompted to name it. For example, you might name it “Outlook.”
- Go to the app that you want to connect to your Office 365 account. When prompted to enter a password, paste the app password in the box.
To use the app password in Outlook
You’ll need to do these steps once.
- Open Outlook, such as Outlook 2010, 2013, or 2016.
- Wherever you’re prompted for your password, paste the app password in the box. For example, if you’ve already added your account to Outlook, when prompted paste the app password here:
- Or, if you’re adding your Office 365 account to Outlook, enter your app password here:
- Restart Outlook.